Sunday, September 22, 2019

Return to Blogging Part 2

It has been just about a year since I have contributed anything new to the blog.  In the last post I said I was going to resume blogging, but then a year passed again. Today I was showing my garden to someone and she suggested that I start a blog about my garden. I was too ashamed to tell her that I already had one that I had allowed to lapse. So, starting today I am going to reactive this blog. I can't say how often I will be posting, but I'll try to do it whenever there is something interesting to report.

Today I'm going to talk about dragonflies. I have written before about the big red dragonflies that have been breeding in my backyard pond for over 20 years. Recently a pair of large green dragonflies have been around. The male (I'm assuming) is bright green. The female is gray-green. I couldn't get a photo of him because he was zipping around too fast, but I got a photo of her depositing eggs on some pond plants.


You can't see her tail because it is curled under in order to place the eggs on the underside of the floating leaves. She did this in several places around the pond. I posted this photo on iNaturalist and someone told me that it is a common green darner (Anax junius).These dragonflies are a great new addition to the pond.

No comments:

Post a Comment