Sunday, September 29, 2019

Another Dudleya

I'm nuts about Dudleyas. One of my favorites is D. candida which is from the Islas Coronados just south of the border. These islands are not large, so it is fascinating to me that a separate species of Dudleya has evolved there. That seems to be the way Dudleyas are.

What I like about candida is that it is more compact than pulverulenta, and way more compact than brittonii. As it grows it develops new rosettes rather than having the original rosette get larger. Over time you get a cluster of rosettes in a tight clump that is very attractive and easy to fit into any garden.

A couple of years ago an apparent seedling came up. It now looks like this:


The parent plant is above and the "seedling" is below. I call this an apparent seedling because I don't know for sure that it arose from seed. It is possible that this rosette is an offshoot that came from the roots of the parent and not from a seed. Either way, I am happy to have it. It is growing well and seems to really like this crevice between the rocks.

The photo above leads me to the topic of rocks. I am also nuts about rocks in the garden. I just love the way they look, but they also have benefits for native plants. Succulents in particular seem to need rocks. Below are some of my favorite rocks.


I like to stack rocks to make a low "wall." It adds texture to the garden and gives lizards some places to hide. The cacti in the foreground are Cochemeia halei from Baja.


Above is my favorite large rock, decorated with lichens and moss. This area is mostly annuals which are not apparent in September.


More lichens.


Another low "wall" at the base of a coast live oak (Quercus agrifolia).

No comments:

Post a Comment