Wednesday, November 27, 2019

More Germination of Annuals

We had some welcome rain on November 20. I had been waiting for this, and I had quite a few annual seeds to spread around, including Lupinus succulentus, Layia platyglossa, Collinsia heterophylla, and several others. In addition, there were lots of seeds in the soil from annuals I have grown the past few years. As I write this, rain is coming down again, giving us hope for a flowery spring.

I posted previously about germination resulting from my watering of some areas, but after last week's rain they are coming up everywhere. I'm not real good at identifying seedlings, but I'm working on it. This first one I've decided is Clarkia unguiculata.


I'm guessing these are cotyledons because they do not resemble the adult leaves. In the area that I watered before, the plants have grown enough to tell what they are (below) . Also, they are growing so densely that I'm going to have to thin them. This plant gets pretty large for an annual.


The next one is miner's lettuce, Claytonia perfoliata. I have learned to recognize this one at its very early stages because I've had it for more than 5 years.


The next two are mysteries to me. The seedlings in the first photo could be from the seeds I recently bought or they could be Sidalcea malviflora that I grew here last year.


The next one is the bigger mystery. The cotyledons look like a Fabaceae, but I don't recall buying any Fab seeds. The other possibility is Asclepias eriocarpa which I collected from the Mojave desert a couple of years ago. I just don't know if this is what Asclepias seedlings look like. It will be fun to see what they turn into.


Lastly, an Isocoma menziesii decided to bloom this week. I have several of these and all the rest are going dormant, but this one isn't ready to go to sleep yet.



2 comments:

  1. Mystery Fabaceae looks like a lupine, maybe bicolor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're right. I think they turned into succulentus. I don't have any bicolor but I have lots of succulentus. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete