Thursday, October 17, 2019

The Fun(gi) Never Stops

Here's another mushroom coming that has come up in the last few days. It has a more traditional mushroom shape and is coming up at the base of a coastal mountain mahogany (Cercocarpus minutiflorus). I am simply amazed at the diversity of mushrooms in this relatively small garden.




Normally I just leave mushrooms alone, but I pulled up this one in order to get a photo of the gills on the underside of the cap.

I have posted these photos on iNaturalist in hopes of getting it identified. Several possibilities were offered by the artificial intelligence program, but I decided to go with the broad category of Agaricaceae, the family of field mushrooms, puffballs and allies. I'm hoping a fungus expert will take a look at it and suggest a genus or even species.

No comments:

Post a Comment