Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Back from Vacation

I was on vacation for 3 weeks and it has taken me some time to get back into my normal routines. When I got home there was quite a bit to be done in the garden. Some plants had gone to seed and I wanted to collect the seeds for spreading around the yard, especially the Delphinium cardinale.


You can see that the Delphinium has a 3 chambered fruit. Each chamber is filled with numerous small, black seeds. It's very easy to collect the seeds by turning the fruits upside down into a cup. I'm going to hang onto these seeds until late summer or early fall, at which time I will sow them around in places where I'd like to get it established. When storing seed remember to keep them in an envelope, paper bag or some other porous container. The seed is a living organism and needs to breathe, although at a slow rate. If sealed in a plastic bag they will eventually suffocate.

My new pond got rather green while I was gone, but it also seems to have attracted a lot of insect life. This week there was a squadron of dragonflies and damselflies cruising around the pond. I could only get a picture when one of them would land.


There was also one that I believe was a female. She was more brownish-red, and she was flicking her tail in the water which I believe was egg laying. It was hard to get a picture of her, but I did manage to get one. It's pretty blurry because she was moving so fast. I expect that next year there will be baby dragonflies emerging from the pond.


Damselflies are much smaller than dragonflies and usually rest with their wings folded rather than straight out like Dragonflies. The ones around here are blue. I couldn't get a picture of any adult ones. They must reproduce very quickly because there are already damselfly naiads (nymphs) in the pond. Very cool.


That's all for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment