Friday, May 3, 2013

Bees and Lizards Revisited

Geez, it's been a week since I posted anything. Time to get busy. In my previous post about insects in the garden, I mentioned bees both native and introduced. I just found out about a great source of info about native bees. It's called Urban Bee Gardens and the URL is helpabee.org. The info on plants is not restricted to native species (which I prefer), but that's good because not everyone wants natives.

On a recent cool morning I found some Yellow-faced Bumblebees apparently sleeping (or at least resting) while holding onto flowers. When it got a bit warmer they began to fly and forage as usual.


In my previous post about lizards I mentioned that I have Silvery Legless Lizards in my garden but I've never taken a picture of one. I finally got the chance a few days ago. I was moving around some loose, damp dirt in an area where I had nothing growing, and I uncovered a young legless lizard. Instead of immediately relocating it to a safer area, I got my wife to take a picture of me holding it.


That's all for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment